I don’t know about other women, but when I hit about 37 weeks, I was ready to get the baby out! I wasn’t even uncomfortable the way some women get towards the end. In fact, all the way up to my due date I was walking to and from work (about a mile each way)! I was just anxious to meet my baby and ready to start the next chapter.
It felt like I was never going to have the baby, and the more I thought about it, the more anxious I became. My body must have picked up on it because it was 100% not cooperating!
At my 37 week appointment I asked to be checked. I was 0cm, but baby was low and it seemed like things were going to start moving along.
At 38 weeks, I was 1cm.
At 39 weeks, I was 0cm again! It was Valentine’s Day and my doctor was going to do a membrane sweep to move things along, but no dilation equals no sweep.
At 40 weeks, on my due date, I was back to 1cm! So the sweep was on!
Still, I had walked to and from work that day… I didn’t have any real symptoms that labor was coming soon… I felt great! So, I wasn’t getting my hopes up.
I was, however, ready to get the baby out and willing to do whatever it took! So, I did ALL the self-inducing tricks I could think of. And something worked!
What exactly it was… I couldn’t tell you…
Here’s what I did:
- Sex! (Doctor’s orders- No problem there!)
- Red raspberry leaf tea
- Clary sage and jasmine essential oils
- I had been taking evening primrose oil for about a week
- There’s a restaurant in the city I live in with the reputation of inducing labor. And it’s Mexican food-spicy! Hubby and I definitely went there for dinner. (Side note- I definitely regretted the mountain of jalapeños I ate when I was throwing up during labor.)
- I walked in circles around my apartment for about 30 minutes
And at 9:00pm, I went to bed fully expecting to get up the next morning and go to work. I woke up a couple hours later and realized that was most definitely not going to happen!
Was it the sweep? Probably… But I have heard of women who have had it done two or more times with no results.
So, could it have been the sex? The tea? The food? Or was baby just ready to make her appearance?
I don’t know, but it’s fun to think back on. Have any of you women out there tried any self-induction techniques? Anything work for you?